Business Roundtable, a collection of CEOs from major corporations, released their recommendations on how to get the housing market going again.
The Business Roundtable’s recommendations are as follows:
• Keep mortgage interest rates at historically low levels (below 5 percent) for at least one year;
• Expand the current First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit incentive from the lesser of 10 percent of the purchase price of the home or $8,000 to a higher limit of either 10 percent or $15,000 for all homebuyers, remove the income restrictions and include all primary residence purchases for one full year;
• Conduct a thorough review of current foreclosure mitigation and loan-modification programs in light of rising loan-modification re-default rates;
• Make permanent the current temporary conforming loan limits; and
• Continue to review and strengthen government efforts already underway to review and refine mortgage lending practices.